+44 131 476 6500 email@example.com
Sleeps - 24
Region - Angus & Fife
Activities Golf · Mountain biking · Riding
Facilities Mobile coverage · Snooker / Billiards · Swimming pool · Wifi
Features Children Friendly · Self-Catered
Rental From £3,700 per week
Drumkilbo is available for The Open Golf Championship at Carnoustie, July 2018
Drumkilbo is an historic manor house available only on an exclusive basis for your private or corporate house party in Scotland. Its location, just an hour’s drive from Edinburgh Airport, is easily accessible, yet offers the scenic grandeur of the Highlands with an abundance of activities to suit everyone in your family or group.
Drumkilbo, offers a place for you to relax in the privacy and comfort that only an ancient and historic country house can provide.
For client entertainment, corporate retreat or large house party, Drumkilbo House is a venue overflowing with history. Once frequented by the royal family, the House can let on a fully staffed or self catered basis.
Brief History of Drumkilbo
Robert the Bruce The present house incorporates the remains of a fortified tower dating from the 13th century. Indeed, the first recorded owner of Drumkilbo was King Robert the Bruce, who gave it to Morice de Tiry in about 1300. The Tyrees were the first confirmed inhabitants of Drumkilbo. On an old tombstone in Kirkinch (Nevay) Churchyard. they are described as “honest men and brave fellows”. The chief of the clan joined Robert the Bruce in the Wars of Independence.
Sir William Wallace Scotland’s national hero, William Wallace, would have known Drumkilbo well. Long before the events portrayed – not always with historical accuracy – in the film ‘ Braveheart ‘, a favourite story took place near Drumkilbo. In 1292, the young Wallace was completing his education in Dundee when he stabbed the son of the Constable of Dundee during and argument. Wallace fled into the countryside north of Dundee with English soldiers in pursuit. Coming to Longforgan, he sank down warily outside a little cottage. Mrs Smith, a good wife busy at her spinning-wheel, quickly invited him in and dressed him in her own overall that she had been wearing while spinning and set Wallace down to spin in her place. The English soldiers arrived and searched the cottage, but so disguised was Wallace, and so covered in fluff from the spinning, that they failed to recognise him and left to resume their search elsewhere.
Families Who Lived Here The Tyrees lived at Drumkilbo for 300 years. Sir Thomas Tyree was fond of horse racing. His horse, Kildaro, won the first silver cup raced for at Perth on Palm Sunday 1631. King Charles 1 wrote to him asking for a ‘ loan ‘ of his grey gelding. This was probably the famous Kildaro, and one wonders whether the horse was ever returned to Drumkilbo.
Sir Thomas sold the estate to the Nairne family in 1650. They were descended from Michel de Narai, an Italian from Narni who came to Scotland as Italian ambassador during the reign of King Robert III.
Alexander Nairne enlarged the House in 1811, but his descendant, David Nairne, who died in 1854, was the last of the Nairnes of Drumkilbo. The property was sold to Lord Wharncliffe in about 1851.
In 1900, Drumkilbo was sold to Edward Cox of Cardean for his younger son, John Arthur Cox. The Cox family were the leading proprietors of the jute industry in Dundee. The property was then let for a time to Lord Glamis, the heir to the Earldom of Strathmore and Kinghorne, whose seat is nearby Glamis Castle.
Sir Robert Lorimer In 1920, John Cox commissioned the leading Scottish architect of the day, Sir Robert Lorimer, to enlarge the House. This was done superbly, in a style that was in keeping with the original structure. During the alterations, some accounts with a Dundee draper were found dating from 1745, as well as an old sword, a claymore made at Solingnen.
Lord Elphinstone In 1953, the 17th Baron Elphinstone, a cousin of HM The Queen, acquired the Estate. He was responsible for establishing the majority of the planting that is seen in the gardens today. He also wished to entertain his royal relations more comfortably and a new wing, incorporating the Royal Apartments, was added in 1963.
Weekly Rentals 2018
Peak : Easter, July and August = £4,500 Mid Season : April (except Easter), May, June, September, October half term = £4,000 Low Season: January, Feb, March, October (except school half term), Nov and December (except Christmas and New Year) = £3,700 Christmas & New Year: £4,800
No weekend bookings between the 1st June and 30th September (week bookings only) 3 night stay £2,500.00 access 9am departure 6pm
The unheated pool is available June to August – guests must supply their own towels
Drumkilbo is available for The Open Golf Championship at Carnoustie, July 2018 Price on Application – please speak to us for more information.
Drumkilbo is a lovely, spacious country house ideal for a family holiday or a large gathering. Situated in Perthshire, there is lots to do and see including fishing, walking, golf and many historic castles to visit including Glamis Castle which is very close by.
Drumkilbo is a private family home, and the informal look and feel of the interior of the House reflects this. The House is offered for your exclusive use and you are invited to regard it as your home during your stay.
The Robert the Bruce Hall This splendid hall originally greeted visitors arriving through the 1811 Georgian entrance. It now forms the centrepiece of Drumkilbo House, and has recently been restored under the supervision of Historic Scotland. The medieval 13th century round tower has now been exposed to view and provides a breathtaking glimpse of the past.
The Lorimer Drawing Room This enormous, elegant Drawing Room was added in 1920. Designed by the leading Scottish architect of the day, Sir Robert Lorimer, the room is enriched by a magnificent ceiling of ornate plasterwork that exemplifies Lorimer’s classic approach to design. A very special adornment is the beautiful marble fireplace surround gifted to Lord Elphinstone by HM The Queen Mother.
The Dining Room When Lord Elphinstone added a new wing in 1963, one of his objectives was to provide the most elegant entertainment facilities for his royal cousins. The perfectly proportioned Dining Room with its handsome Regency dining table, which seats fourteen, and its inspiring view of the garden is a joyful place to dine. Its impressive marble fire surround was moved from Lord Elphinstone’s previous home at Carberry Tower.
The Writing Room One of the principal rooms of the ancient fortified tower house, the Writing Room is adorned with an Adam fireplace and commands a sweeping view of the formal garden. The addition of a conference table provides boardroom-meeting capacity for up to one dozen delegates.
The Sitting Room This large room features a splendid bay window with comfortable seating overlooking the formal garden. It is an ideal location to enjoy Drumkilbo’s famous afternoon teas, replete with home-baked scones and cakes with jams and preserves made from garden fruits.
The Library This fascinating room commands the best view of the swimming pool. It dates from the early 19th century and was remodelled by Sir Robert Lorimer. It is an ideal seminar room for groups of up to fifteen persons.
The Hall Room This cosy enclave off the main hall is ideal for small breakaway groups. It is comfortably furnished for up to six persons.
The Billiard Room What better place is there to retire after a day in the outdoors than the billiard room? The full-size Drumkilbo billiard/snooker table is a century old and has been the focal point for many convivial evenings.
Facilities Billiards room Excellent golfing area Approved and registered for civil marriages and religious ceremonies Marriages can be held outside in the gardens or inside a marquee adjacent to the house Linen and towels included All fuel and power included Sorry – no pets
By arrangement Cook and assistant – Should you require catering during your stay at Drumkilbo this should be provided via one of Drumkilbo’s nominated chefs.
Well-equipped kitchen Dishwasher Fridges Freezer Washing machine Tumble dryer
TV and video Cot and highchair
<Accommodation Lorimer drawing room Robert the Bruce hall Dining room – can seat up to 26 Writing room Sitting room Library The Hall room Billiards room</accommodation
Bedrooms 5 x twin 6 x double 2 x single
4 en suite bathrooms / shower rooms 4 shared bathrooms / shower rooms
Gardens and Grounds Drumklibo House lies amid sixteen acres of designed gardens, created by the 17th Lord Elphinstone between 1951 and 1970. Whether you are inclined to take a morning stroll before breakfast, or prefer an evening walk in the floodlit grounds after dinner, or simply wish to find a shady place on the formal terraces in which to relax with a good book and a glass of wine, the gardens here at Drumkilbo will enhance your stay and match your aspirations perfectly.
The Drumkilbo gardens have attracted many visitors through the years, and are now open to the public once a year as part of Scotland’s Garden Scheme. The sixteen acres of landscaped grounds contain many fine mature specimen trees, azalea and rhododendron walks, a walled garden, and croquet lawn.
The structure of the formal garden was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer working for the Cox family in 1920. The garden consists of two terraces surrounded by majestic trees recently catalogued by the Royal Botanic Society in Edinburgh. The walled garden enjoys superb views of the Sidlaw Hills. Its May asparagus is locally renowned, as are its award-winning fruits and vegetables.
The Woodland Garden The Woodland Garden divides into two main areas. The first is located around the entrance drive; the second lies under the woodland shelter belts enclosing the policies. Several large trees are worthy of note, including a sweet chestnut planted in 1750 and two magnificient limes dating from 1800. The entrance drive is dominated by a large copper beech and an enormous yellow azalea. The tulip tree, surviving through an offshoot, was said to be the oldest in Scotland.
To the north of the drive, across the old tennis court, are plantings of primula and hostas, while to the east of the drive, attractive grass glades have been cut out of the woodland and filled with interesting trees and shrubs. One glade leads to an old elm that is about 200 years old; around another corner are two oaks, quercus rubra and quercus ilex, probably planted by the Cox family. The beds are planted with small trees such as magnolia kobus and a good example of cornus nuttallii. Under these trees, species of rhododendron and other shrubs are carefully arranged, and it was here that Lord Elphinstone planted his collection of lilies. On the other side of the drive, there is a group of lilac and dumach, rhus typhina.
The Formal Garden This is located on the west side of the House. The garden structures were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in about 1920. The garden consists of two terraces separated by a low retaining wall and linked by steps and a small paved area. A high ten-foot wall and yew hedge separates the formal garden from the drive on its north side, ensuring complete privacy. Sheltered by the wall, a long herbaceous border provides a colourful display during the summer months. A covered pergola on the south side of the wall adjacent to the House overlooks the garden and offers a sunny corner for sitting out.
In the lower terrace, which was formerly an orchard, some of the old apple trees have been retained and the curving island beds have been planted with old fashioned roses, Japanese maples, flowering shrubs and groundcover plants. Roses and clematis climb through the trees, and spring bulbs are naturalised in grass swards. Parts of the old shelterbelt planting protects the garden from west winds. There are also several large trees, including a fine specimen of Douglas Fir.
Download George Goldsmith 2018/19 brochure
Exclusive Properties & Sporting Estates